Global Ambassador Program
The Global Ambassador Program aims to provide a leadership and intercultural development opportunity for UW-Stout study abroad alumni who wish to build on their international experience and increase the awareness of international education at UW-Stout. To accomplish this initiative, Global Ambassadors will engage in a series of programs, projects and events. Upon successful completion of the program, Global Ambassadors will receive formal recognition at the annual Leadership Awards ceremony. This experience upon returning to the U.S. can be a great way for students to continue to develop their resume/CV for potential employers.
Being a leader can be challenging, especially when students return to the United States after living abroad. Individual perspective has changed, students have personally grown, and each has an interesting and unique experience that others may not understand. Becoming a Global Ambassador will not only benefit the internationalization of UW-Stout’s campus community, but also give alumni an avenue to further engage in the global world upon returning home, share their experiences abroad, and most importantly connect with others who have lived abroad.
There are two components required of a Global Ambassador:
1) Volunteer at eight study abroad outreach events throughout the year. Possible events include:
- Study Abroad Fair (one per term)
- Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation
- First Year Registration and Orientation Resource Fair
- Preview Days
- Transfer Tuesdays
- Family Weekend
- Stout Saturdays
- International Week
- Presentations to student organizations and clubs
- Assisting OIE in classroom presentations
- Snapchat Takeover
- Write a blog post
2) Carry out a leadership project upon return to the U.S. which promotes international education on campus. Projects should maximize the impact of alumni experience abroad extending the benefits that they received to the UW-Stout campus community. Projects can be general or focus on specific aspects of international education. When outlining the project, please think about when, where, why, who, and how the project will be achieved. Include marketing strategies and a timeline if applicable. Potential ideas include:
- Host a panel addressing topics of international education, ideas include:
- women of color abroad
- being a member of the LGBTQ community abroad
- students with disabilities abroad
- being a first-generation student abroad
- Present an interactive infographic examining the benefits of intercultural communication competency
- Create a digital story and host discussions around it
- Efforts to create awareness in the community
- Host an event showcasing your country's culture
- Gather other Alumni, International Students, and friends
- Potential ideas include: potluck, game night, international movie night
Event Tracking: Please utilize the Global Ambassador Event Tracking form to track your participation in events and your project. Please ask an event supervisor or staff at the Office of International Education to sign this form to acknowledge the event/project has been successfully completed.
Timeline: The Global Ambassador program will start reviewing applications on September 1 each year. Upon successful completion, students will receive a Global Ambassador Certificate and will be recognized at the annual Leadership Awards ceremony. Projects must be completed by the beginning of April in order to be recognized.
Application Instructions: Before applying, we recommend that you outline your detailed leadership project and brief answers in a Word Document, so you can copy and paste it into the application. In the application you will be asked basic information, why you would like to be a Global Ambassador and how being one will benefit you and UW-Stout's campus community. You will also be asked to select events you are interested in and to describe in detail your leadership project. Please be prepared because you will not be able to save and return to the application once you begin.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.