Skip to content



Who is eligible to study abroad/away?

Students must meet the eligibility requirements for their program in order to be accepted. Each program will list the minimum GPA required and any other eligibility requirements specific to the program. All students must be in good academic and behavioral standing before participating in a study abroad/away program, therefore, all students must undergo a Dean of Students office Clearance before being accepted to a study abroad/away program. This Clearance is completed during the application process.

When is the earliest that I can study abroad/away?
The earliest that students can study abroad/away is the WinTerm of their first year on a faculty-led program. Students must have completed at least one academic semester at UW-Stout (or home institution for non UW-Stout students) before participating in a program. For students wanting to study abroad for a semester, the earliest you can go is during the second semester in the Spring term on the Wisconsin in Scotland program. All other programs require students to have at least a sophomore standing at the time of participation.

Please check the requirements for specific programs prior to applying.

Non UW-Stout Students

Students who are currently not degree seeking students enrolled at UW-Stout are welcome to study abroad on UW-Stout programs. Please contact our office at if you have questions regarding our study abroad programs.

Applying to UW-Stout Programs: Non UW-Stout students must apply to UW-Stout for admission as a "special student" or a "non-degree seeking student."

  • Special Students: Special students are not eligible for financial aid through UW-Stout. If financial aid is needed, special students are encouraged to work with their home institution to fill out a consortium agreement which transfers their financial aid from the home institution to UW-Stout. To apply as a special student, fill out the online application that is incorporated in the online study abroad/away application. Please note in your Special Student application that you intend to study abroad.
  • Degree-Seeking Student: Applying as a degree seeking student is encouraged only if you are in need of financial aid to finance your study abroad program, or if your home institution is unable to complete a consortium agreement.