All faculty, staff, and students (on non-credit bearing programs) traveling abroad must complete the following procedures at least two weeks prior to departure in order to be in compliance with UW-Stout's Safety and Risk Management protocol.
State Department Travel Advisories
UW-Stout follows the State Department Travel Advisory Levels to determine if travel is safe in the country of destination. The Travel Advisory Levels are:
1 = Exercise normal precautions
2 = Exercise increased caution
3 = Reconsider travel
4 = Do not travel
The OIE is not able to approve travel abroad, but rather, the traveler will need to make their own determination if it is safe to travel abroad using the guidance above. As a measurement, students attending credit-bearing study abroad programs are allowed to travel to countries that are a Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2. However, students are not allowed to travel to a country with a Travel Advisory Level 3 or 4. Travelers should also note that while some countries are an overall Level of 1 or 2, there may be certain locations within the country that could be a Level 3 or 4. Travelers are encouraged to carefully read through the entire Travel Advisory.
Faculty, staff, and students (on non-credit bearing programs) must register their travel by completing the procedures below:
- Submit a Travel Registration:
- If the location(s) of your destination does not appear, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the city/town name(s) and country(ies). Advisors will add the location(s) to the system and then you may complete your Travel Registration.
- Self-enroll in CISI insurance here.
- CISI is the UW System's international medical, travel, & security insurance. Rates are pro-rated on a weekly basis depending on the length of travel.
- For faculty and staff only: if traveling internationally on university business, payments should be made using the US Bank Corporate credit card or other personal credit card and then seek reimbursement through the TER process.
- Enroll in STEP here.
- STEP is the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program offered through the U.S. Department of State. This is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- STEP-enrolled travelers will receive important safety information from the U.S. embassy in the country they are traveling which will allow you to make informed, pandemic, etc. as well as assist family and friends to get in touch with you in an emergency.
For questions, please email email@example.com or Jim Uhlir, Director of Safety and Risk Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org.