Skip to Content
Search Results : Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Fiction into Film
London, United Kingdom (Outgoing Program)
Program Terms: WinTerm
Budget Sheets WinTerm
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
WinTerm 2015 10/27/2014 03/07/2015 01/05/2015 01/19/2015
Fact Sheet:
Language of Instruction: English Minimum GPA: 2.0
Class Eligibility: Junior, Senior, Sophomore Housing Options: Apartments
Language Courses Offered: No Internships Available: No
Faculty Led: Yes Exchange Program: No
Program Description:

Fiction into Film, England

tr


Overview
Eligibility
Academics
Logistics
Program Cost
Faculty Leader



Overview

London is one of the greatest cities in the world so it is frequently depicted in fiction and film. What better location to examine literary and cinematic portrayals of England’s capital city than the capital city itself? As you analyze a variety of texts and visit these locations depicted in literature and film, you’ll learn to better appreciate the power of place in storytelling. Let your own imagination and fictional fantasies come alive on this English adventure!  This class will meet in London for two weeks and the last week will be online.


You Should Be Here Sign

Location: London, England

England is known for its high-class entertainment and classic British customs. From Buckingham Palace to the hip streets of Camden Town, London has a variety of attractions and entertainment for everyone.

England in January is often colder (but not quite as brisk as Wisconsin) so prepare for the colder weather with appropriate apparel. Expect 35-50 degrees average in January.




 Eligibility

Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
Prerequisites: ENGL-101 

Academics

Upon successful completion of this course, students will receive 3 credits for:

LIT-208, Fiction into Film-London


This course will help students fulfill university requirements in the following areas:

  • General Education Arts and Humanities.
  • General Education Racial and Ethnic Studies RESB.
  • This course meets Domain I and Standards 1 and 6 of the Wisconsin Teaching Standards.  
  • Honors College: Students who receive a B or better will earn one honors unit.


Grading will be based upon written assignments, class participation, quizzes, a formal essay, and an exam. Written assignments will make up 80% of the final grade and the remaining 20% will be earned through the final exam.

This class has one week of on-line coursework ending on January 24, 2015.


Horses and Big Ben

Logistics

Accommodation: Students will be staying in hotels/hostels during this program. The cost of the accommodation is included in the program fee.

Meals: Students will be responsible for purchasing their own meals for the duration of this program.

Travel: Group flights will be purchased for all participants and the cost of the flight is already included in the program fee. The faculty leader will accompany the students on their flight.

Passport: All students must have a valid U.S. passport for entrance into the UK. The current passport fee is $135. If you already have a U.S. passport, be sure to check the dates of validity. It must be valid for at least six months beyond the return date to the U.S.

Visa: Students are not required to obtain a visa for the duration of this program. If you are not a U.S. passport holder the requirements may be different for you. Please contact your consulate or the Office of International Education for more information.


564

Cost

The final program cost will be determined by the number of participants, shortly after the application deadline. The program cost includes instructional fees, health insurance, housing, cultural activities, airfare, and in country transportation.

Passport fees, some meals, and personal expenses are not included in the program costs and are paid directly by the students.

See budget sheet for cost details. Students taking at least 2 credits are eligible for Win-Term financial aid. Win-term financial aid needs to be applied for separately. For more information, meet with a financial aid counselor in 210 Bowman Hall.

London, Big Ben and Bus

Faculty Leader Information

Professor: Joan Navarre
Email: navarrej@uwstout.edu

Phone: 715/232-1467
Office: 320 Callahan Hall