National Student Exchange Application Process
The application process requires you to:
- Meet with an Office of International Education staff member to discuss your goals, obtain an application packet, and review the application process.
- Study the NSE Directory and consider at which region or school you would like to study. Review member campus catalogs and course descriptions at www.nse.org.
- Meet with your financial aid counselor to determine if financial resources are sufficient for your exchange. Remember that the cost of living may be more expensive than Menomonie, Wisconsin.
- If applicable, apply for a passport. If you have a passport, be sure to check its validity. All passports must be valid for six months beyond your return date to the United States.
- Along with your program director/academic adviser, you should select at least three potential exchange institutions. Have your program director/adviser approve your choices by signing the application form. Additionally, your program director/adviser should complete the Program Adviser Evaluation form.
- Complete your NSE appplication online via this website. Just search "National Student Exchange" and click "apply now" Application
- Submit your $190 non-refundable application fee by going to the Shoppes@Stout site. In order for UW-Stout to review your application, your application fee must be paid. If you decide to withdraw from your program after online acceptance, you will be responsible for this fee as well as the $330 service fee.
- The application will be reviewed by the Office of International Education staff. You will receive an email notification upon acceptance.
- Once accepted online, you will be a part of the placement process at the NSE Conference. Your NSE coordinator will attend the conference in March, and work to get you placed at your priority school. After the conference, students who have been placed will be required to attend the NSE orientation where they will sign their Placement Acceptance Form to confirm their placement.
- Once you have secured your placement, you will work with your program director/adviser to select courses to take at your host institution (completing the advising agreement).
The Priority deadline for application materials is December 1st and the final deadline is February 15th. Annually, 97 percent of the applicants are placed at one of their campus choices.
Some institutions have a rolling exchange acceptance policy, which means that you can apply any time before the semester starts (within certain boundaries). If this is the case, you can apply at any time during the year provided we have enough time to do the background check and you have not missed any key host institution deadlines.
Upon receipt of the form, the host NSE coordinator will forward enrollment materials which usually include a housing application, an institutional admissions form, and registration information. All materials must be completed and returned by stated deadlines. At the end of the term preceding exchange you must have maintained all eligibility requirements applicable at the time of your application or your exchange will be canceled.
You pay your normal tuition and fees to UW-Stout. Additionally, fees which are assessed as a condition of enrollment are paid to your host campus (e.g., laboratory courses, general service, computer, technology, art and photography supplies). Room and meals are always paid to your host campus. You are responsible for transportation, personal expenses, and sightseeing opportunities while on exchange.